ADA Reservations Policy
How to Book a Ride
When scheduling a trip, please provide the reservationist with the following:
- Your name, address and phone number
- The date of your trip
- The time of your appointment
- Your pick-up address
- Your drop-off address
- Return trip information, if necessary
- Personal Care Assistant (PCA) or companion information, if necessary
- Request for a Reasonable Modification. Examples: the request for door-to-door assistance or the request for extra time needed for boarding the vehicle.
Road Runner reserves the right to negotiate a trip time up to one hour before the requested pick-up time and one hour after the requested return time. The negotiated time acknowledges that clients will not leave work early or arrive late to an appointment.
ADA clients may book a trip for the next day and up to 7 days in advance.
After booking a trip, clients will be provided a pick-up window time which is 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after the negotiated time. For example, if a client requests a 3PM pick-up, the trip may be scheduled for 3:15PM which would create a window between 3PM and 3:30PM. The client is asked to be ready between 3PM and 3:30PM.
Drivers will wait 5 minutes from the beginning of the scheduled pick-up window. Please be aware that passengers are required to cancel a trip 2 hours prior to the scheduled pick-up window. Click Here to refer to the Road Runner No-Show Policy and Cancellations.
Other Transportation Issues
What does dispatch do if a client becomes ill while utilizing Road Runner?
If a client becomes ill on a Road Runner vehicle, the driver will contact dispatch and ask for direction. The dispatcher will instruct the driver to take the ill client directly to their destination or take the ill client back to their residence.
If a passenger makes a convenience request, such as “you are going within a few blocks of my house, let me off now”, then these requests will be looked at on a case by case basis and only granted if it does not create late trips or long ride times for another.
Road Runner does not offer same-day scheduling. If a passenger requests an urgent trip for the same day, dispatch will forward the request to a Supervisor.
Road Runner does not leave clients stranded. Every effort will be made to assist individuals who have missed their return trip home. For example, a client is at a doctor’s office, and the appointment runs late. The client is to call Road Runner and let dispatch know as soon as possible that they will be late. Road Runner will make every effort to return for the client when a vehicle is available.
The LRTA also provides connections to neighboring Regional Transit Authorities (RTA’s) for those customers traveling outside the LRTA service area.
- For customers traveling into the MVRTA service area, connections are made at the Gallagher Terminal, 145 Thorndike St, Lowell, MA
- For customers traveling into the MBTA service area (The RIDE), connections are generally made at the following locations:
- Wilmington Train Station, 405 Main St, Wilmington, MA
- Burlington Lahey Clinic, 41 Mall Rd, Burlington, MA
- Middlesex Community College Bedford Campus, 591 Springs Rd, Bedford, MA
For more information about connecting to another RTA service, please contact Road Runner at 978-459-0152.